Home of William Penn
The suffix of the name is
Celtic-Latin camp which appears to have been taken into the
Germanic language meaning an early Saxon settlement on the edge of a
Roman one. The parish church
was anciently a chapel-of-ease to its mother-church at Sonning.
In the 14th century, Windsor Forest
spread as far as Ruscombe and its bounties were a great temptation to
the locals. On one occasion, Oliver the Rector was charged, at the
Forest Court, with having shot a large stag with bow and arrow!
There was supposed to have been a Civil War skirmish in the village at
which Lieut. Mynd of Sonning was killed, and the parish register records
the burial of thirteen soldiers in the first three months of 1642. The
villagers were so scared, they deserted their homes and hid in Ruscombe
Lake (it was still full of water then). The mysterious tunnels in the
area may have been used as their escape route.
William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, lived and died in Ruscombe, but
his house was torn down in 1830. Stanlake Park was built by Richard
Aldworth, but the house is just in St. Nicholas
Hurst parish. The original house stood within the moat in Botany
Bay Copse in Ruscombe.