St. James' Church
St. James' is a welcoming little church that looks out onto open fields on the edge of the village of Ruscombe. The interior is small but has several features of interest. The angelic wall-paintings in the chancel are much restored 13th century, the heavy wagon roof and the triple-locked parish chest are 14th century, while the wooden pulpit complete with tester (sounding board) dates from 1639. A more modern fitting is the beautifully carved vestry door of 1912. There is a fine wall monument to Sir James Eyre, Justice of the Common Pleas, and a simpler one to one of the Nevilles of Billingbear Park.
Architecture: Norman Chancel, the rest, including the Brick Tower were built in 1638-9.
Monuments: Sir James Eyre 1799 Female with Urn; Richard Neville Neville 1793 Heraldic
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2001. All Rights Reserved.|