Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
But Lives On
- In Medieval Times, Windsor
and then Abingdon
became the county towns of Berkshire.
- The symbol of Berkshire is a
white hart under an oak tree. A hart is a type of deer. It is the
one hunted by 'Herne the Hunter'. Berkshire soldiers wore this symbol at
the Battle of Agincourt in 1415.
- In Henry VIII's reign, each
county was given a Lord Lieutenant to take over the military duties of
- In 1867, the county town of
Berkshire moved to Reading.
- In 1888, County Councils were
set up to look after counties.
- In 1911, Caversham came under
the control of Berkshire County Council.
- In 1958, Berkshire was given the
title of the ‘Royal County of Berkshire’ by the Queen. This was
because of all its Royal connections, particularly at Windsor
- In 1974, North Berkshire,
including the Vale of the White Horse and the area around Wallingford
came under the control of Oxfordshire County Council.
- At the same time, the area
around Slough and Eton came under the control of Berkshire County
- In 1998, Berkshire County
Council was abolished.
- Berkshire lives on today with
its own Lord Lieutenant and High Sheriff.
Click to find out Where
it all Started