Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Still walks through Bisham Abbey
- Lady Hoby was rich and famous,
and a good friend of Queen Elizabeth I. She lived at Bisham
- She was also very clever and full of
her own self-importance. She used to teach her own children because
she didnít trust anyone else to do it properly.
- It wasnít much fun for the
kids though as their mother was very mean and strict. She also had a
- Her little boy, William, wasnít
as bright as his brothers and sisters and Lady Hoby used to get very
annoyed with him.
- One day, he was practicing his
writing when his pen started to put big black ink blots all over the
- Lady Hoby saw red and started
hitting him hard with her ruler. She beat him so badly that she was
splattered with blood as he fell unconscious. So his mother locked him
in his room.
- Suddenly a messenger arrived
from the Queen and Lady Hoby hurried off to Windsor
Castle. The servants thought she had taken William with her.
- When she returned to Bisham, a
few days later, she found he was dead!
- Wicked Lady Hoby was never
forgiven and her ghost has haunted the Abbey ever since her death. She
flits through the rooms all in white, constantly trying to wash the
blood off her hands!