Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Home of the Berkshire Lady
- Calcot Park is a brick Georgian mansion in Tilehurst, near Reading.
It used to stand in the middle of a deer park.
- The previous house was the home of Frances Kendrick (descended from John
Kendrick's brother). She married her husband, Benjamin Child, in
quite extraordinary cirmcumstances.
- They were very much in love. When Frances died, Benjamin couldn't
bear to live at Calcot without her and sold it to John Blagrave.
- Then he changed his mind & wouldn't leave. They had to take the
lead off the roof & let in the rain to flush him out.
- Benjamin left but the house was ruined. Blagrave tore it down 7
built the present house instead in 1755.
- His family lived there for many generations.
- The house is now flats. The park is a gold course.