Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
for Catherine of Aragon &
- Catherine was the youngest daughter of King Ferdinand of Aragon and
Queen Isabella of Castile. These two kingdoms make up modern Spain.
- She lived in Tudor Times, in the late 15th and early 16th centuries.
- Her parents arranged for her to marry Prince Arthur, the eldest son
of King Henry VII of England, when she was only 15.
- Arthur was a strong sporty 14-year-old. He liked to go hunting in
Windsor Forest and had a hunting lodge at Smewynís Manor in
Shottesbrooke, near Maidenhead.
- Spanish tradition said that engaged couples should not see each
other before the wedding, but Arthur was desperate to see his bride.
- When she arrived in England, Henry VII arranged for the princessís
carriage to travel over Finchampstead Ridges. Arthur went out hunting
there and saw her through the carriage window. She was very beautiful.
- They had a big fancy wedding at St. Paulís Cathedral in London and
went to live at Ludlow Castle on the Welsh Border.
- Arthur caught a nasty disease and died soon afterwards. It was a big
shock to everyone. Some people said the marriage had been cursed because
they had seen each other beforehand.
Click to find out What