St. Mary's Church
Childrey Church is a not unpleasing mixture of chapels and differing rooflines. The building is basically early 13th century with perpendicular windows. The chancel was added at the end of the century and the transepts into the next. The tower followed a hundred years later. The interior has the atmosphere of a past age, and one instinctively knows it has treasures that call out to be discovered.
There is an unusual lead font, dating from the reign of Henry II, which displays little standing Bishops around its middle. The north transept was St. Mary’s Chantry Chapel founded by Edmund Childrey, Lord of Frethorne Manor (north of the church), in 1368. The effigial knight here is locally thought to be his, but is more early 14th century in style and probably represents his predecessor Geoffrey Frethorne (d.1320). The church also features some fine memorial brasses to the Lords of Rampayne Manor and, until destroyed in the 18th century, had a wonderful painted board showing the descent of the Fettiplace family. It may have been similar to that still to be seen at Lidiard Tregoze (Wilts).
By the end of the 15th century, Rampaynes Manor was in the hands of Thomas Walrond and his wife Alice whose brass can also be seen here. Their sole heir was their widowed grandaughter, Elizabeth Kentwood. Being both heiress to her own father, Thomas Waring as well as her maternal grandparents, this lady was a great prize, won by one of the prolific Fettiplace family of North Denchworth and East Shefford. Elizabeth and her new husband, William, are remembered by another, now unusual though once popular, type of brass showing them both rising from the grave! There is also the largest brass in the county (15th century), to William Fynderne and his wife, with unusual lead inlay.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2004. All Rights Reserved. The location of this church is now administered by Oxfordshire County Counil.|