All Saints' Church
In 1861, Brightwalton's little old Norman church (whose footings can be seen in the old churchyard) was in such a state of disrepair that the lord of the manor, Philip Wroughton pulled it down and paid for a new one to be built. The tower was so solid that it had to be blown up! Two years later the present building was completed by GE Street at a cost of £4,000. It is supposed to one of his best works.
The church contains a little stonework from the old building, including the Norman font. There are also a couple of memorial brasses. Unfortunately, only a small coat of arms survives from that to James Braybrooke (1590). There are some delightful windows to the several members of the Wroughton family.
This is NOT the official Brightwalton Church website. Please do NOT mail us about use of the church. Visit the C of E's Church Near You website instead.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2004. All Rights Reserved.|