Wickham House, formerly the rectory, was a square red brick building erected in the late 18th century. It was, however, substantially remodelled between 1855 and 1858 by the then rector, William Nicolson. He was born in 1805, a wealthy Irish bachelor from Country Meath, and had enormous influence in the parish. Bays were added to the house and the windows were redesigned in the Gothic style. The tower is a copy of one seen in France - at the house of Jacques Coeur at Bourges - and originally sported an ornate spire, over 100 ft tall. A cloister, conservatory and huge vinery with a curved glass roof were built onto the house, as was a covered walkway leading from the front door to the church, all of which have now been demolished. The neighbouring church of St. Swithun was also rebuilt between 1845 and 1849 at the expense of the Rev. William Nicolson.
House is available for weddings and other events. Its gardens are
usually open to the public once a year.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2002. All Rights Reserved.|