Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
What's that all about?
- A coat of arms is a special
pattern of symbols and colours that a person had painted on their
- They could also wear it on their
surcoat over their armour.
- Coats of arms were used to make
people easily recognisable in battle.
- A coat of arms on your shield
was only part of a full achievement of
arms. Look at all the different parts in the picture.
- Everything to do with coats of
arms is called heraldry and the King's heralds are in charge of it.
- You were only allowed to use a
coat of arms if the King's heralds had designed one for your family.
This is still true today.