Chilton Lodge stands at Leverton, the Berkshire part of Chilton Foliat, which was transferred to Hungerford in 1895. The estate was famously the home of Sir Bulstrode Whitelocke, Keeper of the Great Seal during the Commonwealth. His house stood to the west of the present building. It was replaced by Sir John Soane in 1789, but this too was pulled down when the Chilton Lodge of today was put up by William Pilkington for John Pearse in 1800.
Chilton Lodge is a private residence. It can be seen across the fields to the south.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2010. All Rights Reserved.|