Although some form of dwelling has existed at Antwicks in Letcombe Regis since the Domesday Book (1086) and is believed to be the site of King John's hunting lodge (hence "Regis" in the name of the village). In the 14th century, it was the home of the prominent lawyer, John Estbury. He is mostly associated with Lambourn as he founded almshouses and a chantry at the church there, but his main home was Antwicks. The following century, it came into the hands of a branch of the famous Hyde family from Denchworth, before they moved to Purley Hall.
The original section of the present house is believed to date from around 1780. The house was moated until the late 1800s as was the custom in the manorial system. Between 1890 and 1905 during two changes of ownership, one of which was the wealthy Irish born racehorse owner Richard 'Boss' Croker, the house was remodelled and substantially enlarged. It is worthy of note that the Racing Illustrated in 1895 described the property as "few prettier places of the kind have we seen in the course of last summer's wanderings."
Antwicks Manor is a private residence. It was last offered for sale by Knight Frank in May 2001.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2002. All Rights Reserved. This location is now administered by Oxfordshire County Council.|